Details Trademark Registration Japan
Trademark Registration Prosecution
With this assignment you can order a trademark registration in Japan. We will take care of everything that is necessary for the professional preparation of the trademark registration in Japan, submission of the trademark application in Japan and send the trademark certificate to you.
The price for trademark registration in Japan includes our professional fees as well as the official trademark office fees for the trademark registration in Japan without opposition.
The trademark registration order for Japan includes the following tasks:
First, we check whether the trademark being registered is entitled to protection in Japan (absolute grounds of refusal). Not all trademarks can be registered as trademarks. For instance, merely descriptive terms for the respective goods and services may not be registered as a trademark.
To avoid collisions between your trademark registration in Japan and older trademarks we recommend to conduct a trademark search in Japan which must be ordered separately.
We will e-mail you the prepared trademark registration documents for Japan for your approval and file it then.
Once the trademark was registered in Japan we send you the certificate.
Country specific trademark law
I. Required documents
- PoA (neither notarized nor legalized) is not required for filing, but may be required in certain circumstances
II. Application Procedure
- processing time from first filing to registration is about 4 - 8 months, provided that no objections are raised or oppositions filed
- application process includes a formal examination, an examination of distinctiveness and a search for prior conflicting trademarks
- order of process is:publication, examination, registration, publication
- Nice Classification
- multi-class applications allowed
- nature of retail services of class 35 has to be clearly identified
- opposition period is 2 months from the date of publication of the trademark registration
V. Use requirements
- applicant has to prove use / file a declaration of intent to use and a business plan in order to obtain registration, if the application covers many categories of goods/services in one class
- trademark has to be used within 3 years from the date registration
- trademark may be subject to cancellation if not properly used for 3 consecutive years
VI. Duration Period
- 10 years from date of registration
- renewable for periods of 10 years
- grace period: 6 months from the expiration date of the mark
- fine to be paid for late renewal (double the amount of the renewal fee)